The Free Trade Alliance, also known as the FTA, is a conglomerate of various corporate interests that seeks to promote stability for commercial reasons. It was founded approximately a decade after the Battle of Witchhead. Its sole purpose is to create wealth, regardless of the circumstances and their legality.
Despite the economic, social, and occasional political stability the Free Trade Alliance provides, there exists a massive economical and social divide amongst populations living under their jurisdiction. Because the Free Trade Alliance serves to provide for the benefit of increasing one's capital wealth, the wealthy continue to gain more wealth at the expense of the poor and entire ecosystems have been devastated thanks to Free Trade Alliance policy. They are a plutocracy and Beka Valentine compared them to a monopoly.
The Free Trade Alliance's military arm is composed of mercenaries, who fight against pirates, terrorists such as the Restorian Movement, and anyone else who disturbs the peace that serves to keep their treasury full.
- The initials of FTA are the same initials used for free trade agreements. Many free trade agreements have been accused of undermining competition and trade unions.
- The Free Trade Alliance is similiar to the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Corporate Sector Authority. The government was controlled by corporations.
- In "Star Trek" the Ferengi government is based on profit.
- In the book and film "The Wages of Fear" the United States based petroluem corporation controls the nearby town.
- In the Palladium Books Rifts storyline many civilian freight cargo transports lack maintenence to reduce operating expense.